EYC Racing Fleet Home Page
The Erie Yacht Club has a long history of yacht racing as evidenced by the many trophies in our display case. One of the most prestigious is the Annette Cup that was established in 1907 shortly after the formation and incorporation of the EYC. Previously, yacht racing on Lake Erie had spawned the formation of the Inter Lake Yachting Association in 1885. The annual regatta competition and camaraderie brought on by ILYA racing provided one of the many reasons for forming a yacht club in Erie. Since its inception in 1895, Erie Yacht Club racers have competed at the ILYA’s annual regatta at Put-in Bay, Ohio as well as others throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Erie Yacht Club hosted the ILYA Regatta in 1920 which was so overwhelmingly successful, the ILYA awarded the Erie Yacht Club a German made chiming ship's bell clock currently displayed in our lounge in appreciation of the EYC's hospitality. Racing continues today with a strong organization and large fleet.
Locally, the fleet has raced under various handicap systems and numerous one design classes over it’s one hundred plus year history. The current organization was formed in the spring of 1992 with a single racing authority using the PHRF-Lake Erie handicap system under the EYCRF banner. The fleet is currently comprised of three divisions; Spinnaker, Family JAM and Jib & Main. The fleet has been skillfully helmed by the volunteer chairmen listed here and their numerous committees since its inception. We owe the positive evolution and success of our fleet to these hardworking leaders. Welcome to the Erie Yacht Club Racing Fleet!
Notice to Competitors
The race scheduled on Wednesday July 8th and to be scored in both of these series was abandon because of a lack of wind. Due to very limited reschedule dates and the balance of the virus-revised schedule being full, these two series will be each be considered and scored as a two race series.
I apologize for any confusion my earlier email may have caused. Please be guided by this draft of the official schedule until such time as it is posted.
Please note: You will see what may appear to be multiple races on some Wednesday nights. This is not the case. We do however, have multiple sponsors on each Family JAM race in June and July. We did this so that our generous sponsors are not penalized by the later start to the racing season. This will enable us to award class flags for each of the originally scheduled series.
Year end awards are being reviewed individually. At this time, BOY and the Zurn Trophy will not be awarded. At least for now, all races (Spin, Jam, Family JAM) will be lighthouse starts.
Again, I apologize for any confusion my earlier correspondence may have caused. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.
At long last, the EYCRF will be begin the 2020 Racing Season on Wednesday, June 24th with the Family Jam, McDonald's I'm Lovin' It Summer Series. Our intention is to fill the remainder of the season with as much racing and as many social events as we can pack into it.
That said, there may be some changes and adjustments to the schedule, starting locations, and social events due to social distancing requirements and other Covid 19 restriction. Any changes with be communicated well in advance in order to give you plenty of notice. As sailors, we should be prepared for changing conditions and ask for your patience and understanding while we navigate the remainder of the season.
If you have not registered and plan to participate, it is not to late to sign up. The online enrollment is a quick and convenient way to do so. We ask that if you will be registering, please do so at your earliest convenience. I have attached the 2020 entries and class breakdowns for you review. We look forward to seeing you on the water on the 24th.
Aaron, Fleet Chairman
#1 5/4/2020 By now, I am confident many of you have read through the FAQ regarding Club Operations under the Covid-19 Restrictions. Based on the limitations we are currently operating under, our season will not start on May 6th as originally scheduled. As noted, we are actively monitoring the situation, and will keep you apprised of any and all development as they relate to the EYCRF. I think you will agree, the safety and well being of our membership is, and should remain our first concern.
Aaron Ackerman, Chair EYCRF
- FEB 25 TUE Social Meeting 7:00PM. Welcome with Presentation of Richard Eisenberg, Executive Director of the Bayfront Maritime Center. Mr. Eisenberg was the 2007 recipient of the EYC’s prestigious Thompson Award for outstanding service or achievement in the world of yachts and yachtsmen. Rich spoke about all the great things that the BMC is working on from the progress of the Porcupine to the various maritime programs that they offer to the community.
- MAR 31 TUE Canceled Social meeting 7:00PM Guest speaker: P/C Gib Loesel
- APR 4 SAT Canceled North-U Tactics seminar at Rickloff Community Boathouse
- APR 28 TUE Canceled Social meeting 7:00PM Guest speaker: Judge John Garhart
- MAY 6 WED Canceled 7:00pm -First Race
- JUL 10 FRI Canceled EYC Foundation Raw Bar Fund Raiser @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- AUG 9 SAT Koehler Cup - Ashtabula YC Steak Dinner/Corn roast 6:00 pm
- AUG 17 On line Auction
- AUG 29 SAT EYCRF Chairman's Picnic @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- SEP 5 SAT 5th Annual EYCF Wooden Boat Race
- SEP 12, 13 Cancelled Weekend races to Port Dover for the Wolford Trophy
- SEP 27, SUN Thomas Carrol Race, Thomas Carrol Time Schedule
- SEP 4, SUN Chili Cup
- NOV 7 SAT Cancelled 2020 Awards Banquet
Past Racing Fleet Chairs
2003-04 P/C Tom Trost