EYC Racing Fleet Home Page
The Erie Yacht Club has a long history of yacht racing as evidenced by the many trophies in our display case. One of the most prestigious is the Annette Cup that was established in 1907 shortly after the formation and incorporation of the EYC. Previously, yacht racing on Lake Erie had spawned the formation of the Inter Lake Yachting Association in 1885. The annual regatta competition and camaraderie brought on by ILYA racing provided one of the many reasons for forming a yacht club in Erie. Since its inception in 1895, Erie Yacht Club racers have competed at the ILYA’s annual regatta at Put-in Bay, Ohio as well as others throughout the U.S. and Canada. The Erie Yacht Club hosted the ILYA Regatta in 1920 which was so overwhelmingly successful, the ILYA awarded the Erie Yacht Club a German made chiming ship's bell clock currently displayed in our lounge in appreciation of the EYC's hospitality. Racing continues today with a strong organization and large fleet.
Locally, the fleet has raced under various handicap systems and numerous one design classes over it’s one hundred plus year history. The current organization was formed in the spring of 1992 with a single racing authority using the PHRF-Lake Erie handicap system under the EYCRF banner. The fleet is currently comprised of three divisions; Spinnaker, Family JAM and Jib & Main. The fleet has been skillfully helmed by the volunteer chairmen listed here and their numerous committees since its inception. We owe the positive evolution and success of our fleet to these hardworking leaders. Welcome to the Erie Yacht Club Racing Fleet!
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS
NOTICE TO COMPETITORS #2-18
The two previously abandoned Boat of the Year races will be re-sailed on Sunday, July 22nd. at 10 AM..
The first race shall be the Urbaniak Summer series race #1 and the Urbaniak Summer series race #3 will be sailed immediately following the conclusion of the first race. Urbaniak Summer series race #4 will not be re-sailed.
- FEB 27 TUE Social Meeting 7:00PM Welcome with Presentation of 2018 schedule.
- MAR 20 TUE Social meeting 7:00PM Fish Commission rules vrs RRS, RRS for 2017 - 2020 Q&A session Alex Miller, Russ Thompson
- APR 17 TUE Nick Turney of Turney Sailing Services will discuss sail tech and racing on a budget
- APR 21 SAT North-U Seminar. Andrew Kerr of Olympia Washington will present a full program on sail trim.
- MAY 9 WED 7:00pm Start of First Race
- JUL 13 FRI EYC Foundation Raw Bar Fund Raiser @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- JUL 22 SAT 6PM race and Free BBQ party/awards post race on the EYC west deck and lawn.
- AUG 11 SAT Koehler Cup - Ashtabula YC Steak Dinner/Corn roast 6:00 pm
- AUG 25 SAT EYCRF Chairman's Picnic @ Rickloff Community Boathouse
- SEP 8 SAT 4th Annual EYCF Wooden Boat Race
- NOV 3 SAT 2018 Awards Banquet
Past Racing Fleet Chairs